San Bernardino Shooting Left 14 People Dead; Two Suspects were Killed in the Incident
A tragic incident happened in San Bernardino California on Wednesday at social service center. The city was taken in a panic situation as two heavily armed man and woman started shooting people in the said center. According to the authorities, the incident left 14 people dead and at least 17 others injured.
After the shooting incident comes the manhunt operation and shootout which kills two suspects. The two suspects were identified as Mr. Syed Rizwan Farook, 28 years old and Tashfeen Malik, 29 according to Chief Jarrod Burguan of the San Bernardino Police Department. The two suspects that have been killed are said to be a couple which has a 6- month-old daughter. This information came from their family members but was not sure if the two got married.
During the manhunt operation and shootout, the people of the city were advised to stay wherever they are. Those that are in their homes are told not to go out and ensure that the doors were locked. The same advice goes to building employees. Most private and government buildings and institutions were also close and locked up for security purposes.
Before the incident took place, Mr. Farook was seen attending a holiday party connected to the department he has been working. Mr. Farook was an environmental inspector for over five years under the county department. The party was held in Inland Regional Center, which is a facility that caters services for people with different disabilities.
Mr. Farook left the party earlier Wednesday after some sort of argument. Along with her was Malik. It was around 11:00am when the two returned and was noticed heavily armed. They got with them a .223 caliber assault rifles and semiautomatic handguns.
According to Chief Burguan, he thinks that the couple had been planning this. However, they have yet to investigate on the possible reason of the shootout. Burguan also said, “We have not ruled out terrorism”.
During the manhunt operation, the witnesses described the scene as horrible as there were lots of heavily armed police officers where in the area in search for the attackers. Hundreds of shots were fired which left the two suspects dead. According to Chief Burguan, 20 officers participated in the shootout and some of them were taken in the nearby hospital to treat minor injuries.
A third person was seen in the area and was held custody by the police officers for further investigation. The police officers said that they are yet to find out what was the involvement of this person in the incident.
As the investigation proceeds and the crime scene were cleared out, what’s left to the families of the victims was the longing to resolve the case.