In Celebration of the International Coffee Day
September 29 is the day devoted to celebrate a beverage that gives energy to millions of people who struggle to keep their eyes open and boost productivity in various industries.
According to the internet world and the arbiters of holidays, 29th of September is “Coffee Day”, otherwise known as the International Coffee Day or the National Coffee Day.
The origin of this holiday is actually not known, but who needs its history to justify free coffee?
Coffee shops offer freebies in celebration of this holiday. Dunkin’ Donuts is giving away free medium hot or iced dark roast coffees; while Krispy Kreme offers a free glazed doughnut and free 12 ounce coffee in several participating locations in the US. Some coffee shops have their own freebies for their customers.
Coffee Consumers around the World
According to Euromonitor International, a market research provider, Finland is the number one country in the world that consumes coffee per capita. Each person in Finland on average consumes about 9.9 kilograms of coffee in a survey conducted last year.
Joining Finland in the top 5 is Sweden, Netherlands, Norway, and Slovenia. The United States, on the other hand, ranked 25th in 2014; apparently, Americans consumed about 3.1 kilograms of coffee per capita next year, the same amount as the French people.
Coffee Shops Celebrate Coffee Day
- Caribou Coffee. Instead of giving free coffee to their customers, Caribou Coffee will donate a cup of coffee to families and nurses who are working in cancer centers throughout the country for every cup of Amy’s Blend that you buy on Sept 29.
- Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (CBTL). CBTL offers a 50% discount for all sizes of every iced coffee, flavored iced coffee and iced Americanos that you buy at all participating locations.
- Jet Blue. If you are travelling today, Jet Blue offers Mint customers the chance to enjoy complimentary espresso coffee from the Brooklyn Roasting Company.
- LaMar’s Donuts. You can get free 12 ounce coffee and free mugs until their supplies last.
- Peet’s Coffee & Tea. If you purchase any baked goods, oat meal, or any fresh food item, you may have free small cup of Peet’s Major Dickason Blend.
- Pilot Flying J. They are giving away coupons to guests for a chance to get one free cup of 16-ounce coffee per customer.
- Beginning midnight, there’s a free cup of self-served coffee for customers.
- They give away freebie with a twist. If you post a picture of yourself on social media with your coffee mug, include the hashtag #OfficeMugShot for a chance to win free pack of coffee from Staples.
- Instead of giving free coffee to their patrons, this big coffee chain launches their “Starbucks One Tree for Every Bag Commitment”, which is a year-round campaign in giving customers a chance to help farmers and families who work hard to produce coffee for your morning cup of java.
- Tim Hortons. Get any size of coffee, Regular or Dark Roast, for only $1 at participating branches in the US.
- They offer free coffee of any size you prefer.
- Whole Foods. This grocery store offers month-long discounts of 12-ounce of coffee for only 25 cents.