WHO: Mold Testing is Essential
There is a big health risk when mold is present in your home, according to the World Health Organization. Have you ever imagined that wall, books, clothes, toys and even your CDs are home of mold? Their growth can turn your things into moist and musty sadness that can be compared to garbage. However, for all the molds corrupting menace, the primary question that must be answered is to what extent or degree will you worry when they invade your home? Also, what are the risks they can pose to your family’s health? This article is going to answer these questions and the importance of mold testing NJ.
Molds come in different textures and forms, they appear as black, white, green, yellow or blue and often, they look like a stain or discoloration on a surface. Also, they can have a fuzzy or velvety appearance; it all depends on the kind of mold and the place they are thriving. Mold spores are invisible, they can be found anywhere and everywhere both inside and outside your home. These spores get inside your home by air or when they are attached to people or objects. Open doorways, windows and ventilation systems are the most common gateways of spores. Shoes, clothing and pets can facilitate the entrance of mold in the home too.
According to the report of the World Health Organization, about 10%-50% of environments in the home in North America, Europe, Australia, Japan and India are affected by dampness. This suggests that the problem of mold is a highly pressing issue all over the world. In North America, the EPA or Environmental Protection Agency state that if you have a problem of mold in your home, you must clean-up them up immediately at the same time fix the water problem.
Are there potential health risks of mold? According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, exposure to mold does not always pose health risks indoors but for sensitive people, they can be affected. On the other hand, WHO said that moldy environment is often associated with indoor air pollution and could worsen this is certainly a risk factor for people who have respiratory conditions. They can produce harmful substances that can harm the health such as irritants, allergens and mycotoxins which are potentially toxic substances. In particular, EPA said mold exposure can irritate the nose, eyes, throats, lungs and skin even if you do not have an allergy. The most common symptoms include blocked or runny nose, itchy nose, itchy throat, sneezing and watery eyes.
In addition, for those who have mold allergies, they have a greater risk of having asthma according to CDC while Prof. Stephen Spiro of UK’s British Lung Foundation informed the public that the presence of mold indoors can be more dangerous than simple pre-existing conditions. He said that certain species of mold can cause scarring and serious lung infections.
For these reasons, the WHO released a guideline to have quality indoor air. This issue has mixed conclusions but they conclude that there is sufficient evidence in the association of indoor dampness and respiratory health effects including respiratory infections, asthma, dyspnea, coughing and wheezing.
Despite the inconclusive results of the current research, the EPA and CDC recommend that growth of mold must be dealt with promptly. Both organizations said that the most crucial part in the prevention of mold is to control moisture to avoid them from growing indoors. The key is to act immediately in case of spillage or leak and dry the areas within forty-eight hours to make sure the mold will not grow.
If you are uncertain of their presence in your home, you can ask professional help from companies that conduct mold inspections.